Financial Aid/Scholarships

Active Scholarships

Many scholarships are available at  Take the time to set up an account and search for ones that fit you.  


2024 Scholarships

Financial Aid Terms  

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid): The universal form to apply for financial aid from the federal government, including both federal loans and grants. All colleges require this form, which can be obtained in the M.S.H.S. Guidance Office or a college financial aid office. If you are a college-bound senior applying for financial aid, you are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Stafford Loan (Formerly called Guaranteed Student Loans.): Stafford Loans are subsidized by the federal government, which means that you don't have to begin paying them back until six months after you graduate.

Pell Grant: A need based grant given by the federal government. You do not have to pay this back.

Institutional grant: A need based grant given by the college you attend.

Merit Scholarship: A scholarship, most often given by the college you attend, which is awarded based on academic or athletic qualifications, not financial need.

Work-study: A program subsidized by the federal government in which the government helps a college pay you to work on campus.

Financial aid package: The combination of grants, loans, and work-study that a college offers you to help pay for college costs.

Family Contribution: The amount of money you and your family can contribute to paying for you education, determined by analysis of the FAFSA and/or the FAF.

Demonstrated need: The difference between the cost of attending a college (tuition and room and board) and the family contribution. A college that says it meets "full need" is referring to demonstrated need.